Over the past two weeks major fashion publications have been unveiling their September issues, and (as with all-things fashion) there are trends to discuss. For one, magazines continue to love issuing multiple covers. In fact, though 18 titles making up this list, there are 40 images (and counting) on display — several of which feature children. But one of the best things many of these covers have in common is the number of people of color featured on them — a trend we look forward to seeing continued for a long time to come 1. American Vogue Beyoncé pushed the magazine to hire its first black cover photographer in its 126-year history, and dictated a surprisingly candid essay about her life, although the story has since drawn criticism for its approach to journalism.
2. British Vogue In the issue, Rihanna discussed her body, among other things, and shared this sage piece of advice: “You want to have a butt, then you have a gut.”
3. Love Magazine To celebrate its 10th anniversary, Love issued multiple covers. At least one star, Kendall Jenner, was interviewed for the issue, as it was teased that she discussed stepping away from the fashion industry to focus on her mental health.
4. Glamour Tiffany Haddish revealed that she was sexually assaulted by a police cadet when she was 17, an experience she still struggles with. 5. Vanity Fair Michelle Williams got married and the world didn’t even know she was dating anyone until this issue came out. Congrats! 6. Harper’s Bazaar The theme of this issue is all about musicians and their families, including Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey.
7. Marie Claire Zendaya claims that fashion helped her transition from being a Disney star to a mature actress. But clothes can only do so much — she also discussed how she has had to fight to get into the same auditions as white actresses. 8. Elle UK Slick Woods announced her pregnancy on the cover of British Elle, in an issue dedicated to sustainable fashion.
9. Town & Country Catherine Zeta-Jones introduces her daughter, Carys Zeta Douglas, in the latter’s first magazine cover and profile. 10. InStyle Jennifer Aniston isn’t heartbroken about Justin Theroux. But more importantly, she is totally down for a reboot of Friends, or perhaps a Golden Girls remake with Courtney Cox and Lisa Kudrow.
11. Porter “Beauty should be an expression of a woman’s freedom to be herself,” opines cover star Lupita Nyong’o. She tells no lies. 12. Elle Canada Wisdom from Tracee Ellis Ross: “I’ve learned how to be kind and loving to myself, even when I feel like I haven’t done my best.” 13. Harper’s Bazaar UK Yet another celebrity and their kid on a cover. This time it’s model Cameron Russell and her infant. Eagle-eye Bazaar fans will also notice that an image of Christina Aguilera from the American version of the mag made it on to one of the UK outlet’s covers. Sharing is caring!
14. Ebony Recent CFDA Awards host Issa Rae continues her high-fashion streak in a photoshoot for Ebony, promoting the new season of her hit show, Insecure. 15. Fashion Magazine For the “Identity Matters” issue, Fashion spoke to Crazy Rich Asians star Constance Wu, turning out a pretty funny interview in which Wu is discusses an article written about her that is entirely fake news. 16. Dazed As always, Dazed pulled together a bunch of cool kids to profile. But specifically, all of September’s cover stars appear in upcoming movies that attempt to capture youth culture in a hyper-realistic way.
17. Cosmopolitan Despite some nonsense from a fundamentalist group earlier this year (the National Center on Sexual Exploitation had it removed from WalMart checkout lines), Cosmo is continuing to do what fans love — profiling relatable movie stars and offering cheeky sex tips. 18. Architectural Digest It maybe not officially be a fashion magazine, but Architectural Digest‘s September issue is entirely fashion-centric, peeking inside the homes of some of the industry’s biggest names. It finally shed a light on just how committed to an aesthetic some designers really are. 19. Vogue Paris The Supers never go out of style! Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, and Christy Turlington all grace the cover of Vogue‘s Parisian edition.
20. Essence Naomi Campbell nabbed her third cover of the month with her Essence cover, which was shot in Harlem, and features fashion by Dapper Dan. 21. Elle Cover star Emma Stone was interviewed by her friend (and fellow A-lister) Jennifer Lawrence for the issue. 22. WSJ. Magazine In celebration of its 10th anniversary, WSJ. Magazine has released multiple covers — a trend this season.
23. T Magazine Adesuwa Aighewi was shot by Willy Vanderperre for this very “fall” cover. 24. Vogue Czechoslovakia This September issue is also the grand debut for Vogue Czechoslovakia. Welcome! 25. VMAN The cover boys all discussed modern masculinity for the new issue.
26. CR Fashion Book For the 13th issue of the magazine Carine Roitfeld showcased her public support of Unicef.
Certain major covers (like those of Interview and V) have yet to be revealed, but are bound to be coming out soon. Check this space over the coming weeks for more updates. Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook and Instagram to stay up to date on all the latest fashion news and juicy industry gossip.