Known for the ultimate girly wardrobe and a devoted fan following, Julia Engel of Gal Meets Glam is a blogger who you can count on for all things style—and glam. Here’s what she had to say to your Daily…
Why did you start your blog?
I began my blog while I was in college, simply to share what I was wearing every day in the hopes that it might inspire someone. I had no idea what I was doing, but knew that I loved fashion and wanted to share this passion with others.
What does a typical day look like for you?
I wake up, work out, eat breakfast, work, find a place to shoot, work some more, eat dinner, work some more, and hopefully watch some TV before bed.
Who takes your blog pictures and how many photos will you go through until selecting your favorites to post?
My husband, Thomas, takes our photos. It really depends on the blog post, but we can take anywhere from 200 to 1,000 photos for a post. We try to capture the day spent in one outfit so that we can tell a story. For these, the image count might come in around 500 to 600. We also put a lot of photos in each post, anywhere between 10 and 20 images. It’s better to capture a moment and then decide after the fact whether we want to include it or not.
Since you’re based in San Francisco, what are some of the most Insta-worthy spots?
The Golden Gate Bridge. If you have the time, a great place to get a good shot is from the Marin Headlands across the bridge. The Bay Bridge at night when it is lit up. Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters with its funky pineapple wallpaper. Twin Peaks for a fantastic view of the city.
How would you describe your style?
My style is feminine and classic, with a touch of glam.
Have you done any traveling recently?
Yes, we went to New York Fashion Week and London Fashion Week. Prior to that we took a wonderful trip to Peru where we visited Lima, Lake Titicaca, Cusco, and Machu Picchu.
What have been some of your proudest projects?
I feel very lucky to have a steady stream of great projects. My proudest ones are those that have the greatest impact on my readers.
What’s your end goal with all of this?
I want to continue to inspire women by growing our audience while still giving readers a personal experience. I’d love to eventually release my own products that people can wear or use.
PLUS! Julia’s five tips for aspiring bloggers
- Content is the number one thing for any blogger. Don’t cut any corners that will reduce content quality.
- Do it because you love it, not for fame or money. Ask most top bloggers and they will tell you that they had no major intentions when they started their blogs. They worked on them every single day because they loved what they were doing.
- Find a space and style that you can truly own and is unique to you. This was one of the best pieces of advice I ever received, and it completely changed my direction for the better. It’s easy to get caught up in trends or trying to look cool. Thomas has a saying: “You have to be 10 times better than your customers’ current solution in order for them to switch.” This couldn’t be truer for new bloggers.
- Be consistent. When you’re consistent, people feel more inclined to come back to you for whatever you have to say.
- Find a partner. This could be a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife anyone that loves you unconditionally. Having someone at a minimum to take some pictures and bounce some ideas off of can make the difference between success and failure.